February 18, 2018 | 3:00 PM
Pick-Staiger Concert Hall | Evanston, Illinois
TRULY WONDERFUL THE MIND OF A CHILD IS...
Mallory Thompson, conductor
“Truly wonderful the mind of a child is…” explores works of literature that spark a child’s imagination. We bookend the first half of the concert with works by Leonard Bernstein in celebration of the composer’s centennial birthday. Overture to Candide embodies the irony and humor of Voltaire’s original text and Slava! honors Bernstein’s close friend, cellist Mstislav Rostropovich. The innocence of youth is captured in Engelbert Humperdinck’s “Evening Prayer” from his 1892 opera Hansel and Gretel. Viet Cuong’s dynamic and intriguing composition Sound and Smoke derives both name and concept from von Goethe’s play Faust. In a highlight of the season, some of the most talented young musicians in the Chicagoland area join the Northshore Concert Band for our “Lifetime of Music” program. The students and band members combine to perform a variety of pieces, including some from a galaxy far, far away…
Program highlights will include:
• Overture to Candide - Leonard Bernstein/arr. Grundman
• “Evening Prayer” from Hansel and Gretel - Engelbert Humperdinck/Beringen
• Sound and Smoke - Viet Cuong
• Slava! - Leonard Bernstein/arr. Grundman
• Symphony No. 1 for Brass, Movement 3 - Brian Balmages
• Lindbergh Variations - Robert Sheldon
• Yorkshire Ballad - James Barnes
• The Star Wars Saga - John Williams/Story
Tickets are available in advance either online, by phone (847-432-2263), or at the Pick-Staiger box office in the lobby on the day of the concert. The box office will open at 2:00pm on Sunday, February 18.